To support the Senior Leadership Team/Managers and employees of both sites on all safety, health, welfare and environmental matters to ensure the Company complies with its statutory obligations.
Operations: reporting to Head of Operations & Engineering.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Understand the application of the Health and Safety at Work, etc. Act 1974 and other legislation relevant to British Bakels. Own, develop and implement policies, procedures and processes and support the SLT, managers and staff to manage EHS effectively in their area to comply with the legislation.
- Keep up to date with changes in current legislation and to bring to the attention of the Head of Operations and Engineering any relevant new legislation. Attend such courses/seminars run by external sources to enable accurate interpretation of legislation to enable implementation within the organisation.
- Ensure that all risk assessments and inspections, as required by legislation are conducted and reviewed at relevant intervals and maintain records.
- To identify and implement control measures and approve the standard of P.P.E. issued to employees.
- Conduct health and safety inspections and prepare reports and supporting action plan for all site operations.
- Immediately contact the SLT member responsible for the department if situations are found, that in the opinion of the EHS Manager, require immediate rectification or the stopping of any operation and provide support on required actions.
- To notify the SLT member responsible for the department if the corrective action agreed after any workplace inspection is not implemented by the arranged date and provide support to ensure timely closure.
- Ensure investigations into all accidents, environmental incidents, near-miss incidents and employee concerns are conducted and the findings recorded on the relevant forms and closed in a timely manner.
- Ensure all notifiable incidents are reported under R.I.D.D.O.R. along with the reporting of environmental incidents to the local authorities and Environmental Agency. Investigate and advise the insurance company assessors on E.L claims issued against the company, consolidating evidence and witness statements and training records in the defence of the company from financial claim.
- To ensure Health surveillance is carried out as required, conducting occupational risk reviews for employees with temporary adjustments due to reduced capacity or disablement.
- To identify where training/certification is required to meet the standards imposed by Legislation, Approved Codes of Practice, or H.S.E. guidance. Ensure training for statutory items such as Fork Lift, First Aid, Lifting Equipment and Risk Assessments are completed. Provide training to employees where appropriate.
- Understand and own the application of ISO 14001 Environmental Management and other Environmental legislation relevant to the business and provide a roadmap for driving improvements. Develop, implement and monitor policies, procedures and processes to support SLT members, managers and staff to manage Environmental issues effectively in their area.
- Introduce, maintain and monitor environmental management control and improvement system ensuring corrective actions are implemented within required timeframe. To notify the SLT member responsible for the department if the corrective action agreed is not implemented by the arranged date and provide support to ensure timely closure.
- Lead the implementation of Behavioural Based Safety program across the site.
- Provide reports to Head of Operations and Engineering on the EHS performance of the site.
- Lead bi-monthly EHS meetings to review EHS performance of the site to ensure continual improvement across the site
- Provide support on HSE elements of change programs including property projects and new plant and equipment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer literate.
- Planning own work and schedules.
- Able to engage, drive and motivate staff at all levels to bring them along and understand the agenda and value of EHS to the business.
- Strong influencing skills.
- Able to prioritise organisation, and own priorities from a complex set of issues and actions.
- Able to deal with conflicting demands where there are potentially serious individual and business outcomes.
- Positive attitude in the development of safe ways to operate rather than stopping operations at the sight of risk.
- Able to remain calm and objective in the face of emotional and physical stresses such as accident trauma.
- Empathic but resilient in the application of EHS law.
- Demonstrable experience managing EHS in a manufacturing environment.
- Formulating strategy and policies and engaging business in that process.
- Understanding and knowledge of EHS legislation and best practice.
- NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent.
- Practical implementation of Behavioural based safety systems.
- Understanding of management systems (ISO 14001 & OHSAS18001).
- IEMA Environmental Certificate or equivalent.
Closing date for applications: Monday 8th March 2021.