Working together to fight COVID-19
At Bakels, our top priority is the health and wellbeing of both our staff and customers, while helping prevent the spread of this virus. Below we seek to reassure customers on the measures we are taking to secure the safe and reliable supply of Bakels ingredients during this challenging time.
British Bakels are monitoring and following the advice issued by the Department of Health and Social Care, Public Health England (PHE) and World Health Organisation daily. As part of this we are monitoring reported cases and infection rates and keeping staff, customers and suppliers up to date with the latest information.
SMART working practices have been implemented across the British Bakels business, to safeguard our team and continuation of supply to our customers, which remains as normal.
- Working-from-home has been rolled out for staff who are able to do so.
- Strict personal hygiene in line with our food hygiene practices as a food manufacturing site and any additional recommendations from Public Health England are firmly in place.
- Sanitiser is available at all entrances and key points around site.
- Staff are advised not to visit customers unless absolutely necessary.
- Intranet systems give staff daily updates on all aspects of the fight against the virus.
- Minimised contact between staff – precautions such as staggered shift changeovers and maintaining 2 metre social distancing.
- Should staff experince symptoms outlined by Public Health England, Bakels have strict procedures in place for recording and implementing isolation measures.
We remain commited to the supply of ingredients to our customers.
- For safety, communications are encouraged via video-conferencing platforms, telephone and email to reduce physical contact.
- Our customer service team are on-hand, as normal, to serve daily needs.
- Our extensive manufacturing and warehousing capacity means we are building stock on off-the-shelf and made-to-order products.
Our secure supply to the industry
British Bakels and Bakels companies around the world have teams and contingency plans in place, in order to maintain the normal supply of ingredients to the customer bakeries working around the clock to feed the nation.
- As a crucial sector for the supply of food to the nation, it is our duty to maintain our activities.
- We are working with our suppliers to mitigate any possible supply implications and have increased our stock holding of key ingredients to 3 months.
- We have long standing relationships with all our suppliers and based on the current available information, we do not envisage any supply issues.
- We can assure our customers that we are doing everything we can to minimise any risk to supply.
- Secondary and tertiary supplier partners give the supply chain robustness.
Bakels Top Tips for Bakeries
Social Media Engagement
Low cost and wide reach, the perfect way to break the flow of bad news for consumers. Be honest and communicate inspirational and helpful baking tips to build trust and keep your business firmly in their hearts/minds.
Refine your Range
Demand can fluctuate, stick to simple lines which appeal to the masses which are produced in short runs to reduce wastage/errors. Core lines resonate with consumers as comforting and familiar during these uncertain times.
Explore pick-up/delivery options for customers to buy. Platforms such as Baker Direct lists bakeries available for delivery. Think outside the box, local taxi firms could also play a role in getting goods to customers!
Safety & Hygiene
Clean thoroughly and regularly through COVID-19, the coronaviruses stay on surfaces longer than we think! Let customers know about these measures, to build assurance that your products are free of risk when it comes to safety standards and efficacy.
Low cost and wide reach, the perfect way to break the flow of bad news for consumers. Be honest and communicate inspirational and helpful baking tips to build trust and keep your business firmly in their hearts and minds.
If you have staff resources, broadcast your efforts onto your social channels to connect with customers. Offering Q&As and fun facts while you bake is another good way for customers to stay in touch with what you’re doing.
Focus on Wellness & Nutrition
Restricted living heightens consumer demand for products with nutritional benefits, such as source/high in fibre or protein. Breads with these qualities offer the goodness consumers crave while at home.
Social Distancing Measures
Set out clear floor markers, for customers to adhere to, this minimises the risk of spreading the virus. Depending on the size of your bakery, a one way system can help the safe flow of customers in and out.
Maximise Shelf Life
Produce bread/rolls with Crumb Softener boosted with softness-over-life qualities, help baked products last longer. Double-wrapping, pre-slicing and promotion of freezing loaves to customers all assist in maximising shelf life.
Looking for distributors?
Search below with your postcode.